Timing of Intercourse Timing of sex is almost everything when it comes to fertilizing an egg each menstrual cycle. If you don't have intercourse when you are most fertile in your cycle, you have little or no chance of conceiving. You have a six day "fertile window," during which you are likely to get pregnant if you have unprotected intercourse. The six days starts five days before and end on the day of ovulation.
For women with the average day cycles, and ovulation on day 14, the fertile window is around days nine to fourteen. You can use a simple menstrual cycle chart to keep track of cycles and record the days you have intercourse. A Problem With Ovulation Ovulation dysfunction is a common cause of difficulty getting pregnant.
You likely have a problem with egg production and ovulation if the length of your menstrual cycles are irregular, or shorter or longer than the average range of 21 to 45 days. You will have difficulty timing sex if you can't tell when you are ovulating - or even if you are ovulating at all. An evaluation by your doctor or a fertility specialist can identify your cause.
A specialist can also review symptoms and signs of ovulation you can track each cycle. You can also use an ovulation calculator to help you estimate when in your cycle you ovulate Male Factor Infertility Don't assume your inability to conceive lies with you. Fifty percent of the time, the cause of the problem getting pregnant rests with the male partner.
A semen analysis is the essential test to begin to investigate your partner's fertility. Tubal and Other Factors Problems with your fallopian tubes interfere with the ability of the egg and sperm to get together. Tubal factors account for 35 percent of the causes of inability to conceive, based on a patient guide book by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Other factors include problems with the uterus and cervix, such as scarring or birth defects.
Age Factor If you are older than age 30, you will find it harder to get pregnant. According to an American Society of Reproductive Medicine handbook page 4 , pregnancy rates fall off when a woman is in her 30s and especially after age The decline in fertility with age is a result of fewer and lower quality eggs remaining in the aging ovaries.
The following are useful statistics on the effect of age on the chance of getting pregnant each cycle: At age 30, you will have a 20 percent chance of pregnancy. By age 40, you only have a 5 percent chance of conceiving. Normal Pregnancy Rates Not everyone woman will get pregnant in the first month of unprotected intercourse.
For couples with no known infertility factors, a review in the British Medical Journal states the following statistics: There is a 30 percent chance of conceiving in the first three months. By six months 70 percent of couples will have conceived. By 12 months the number rises to 85 percent. By two years 95 percent of couples will conceive. Infertility is defined as one year of trying without conception.
However, consult your doctor after six months if you are age 35 or older, or sooner if you have an obvious problem, such as irregular menstrual cycles or a history of STIs. Avoiding Pregnancy if You Don't Use a Condom Perhaps you choose to have sex without a condom but you don't want to get pregnant. In that case, you have other options for avoiding pregnancy.
Birth Control Options There are several effective methods of birth control , although, unlike condoms, none of them will protect you from STIs. They range from female barriers like a diaphragm or hormonal birth control like the pill , to convenient, long-acting options like an intrauterine device IUD. Your doctor will help you decide which choice is best for you given your lifestyle and preferences. Natural Family Planning Methods Natural family planning methods help you narrow down the days you are most fertile so you can avoid unprotected sex on those days.
The following facts are helpful to know. You keep track of one or more fertility signs , such as your cervical mucus changes, to help you figure out your day of ovulation.
Based on the New England Journal of Medicine reference cited at the top of the article, avoid intercourse during your six-day fertile window, which ends on the day in your cycle you think you ovulate. For example, for the average day cycle with ovulation on day 14; don't have sex days nine to fourteen.
To be on the safe side, continue to avoid sex for two more days after your estimated day of ovulation - meaning days nine to sixteen if you have a day cycle.
Note that all the natural family planning methods can only estimate but not pinpoint the day of ovulation. Nevertheless, women all over the world use natural family planning to avoid getting pregnant.
Talk to your doctor if you want to use these methods and avoid birth control. Condoms and Pregnancy If you are having sex without condoms or other method of birth control and yet you are not getting pregnant but want to, see your doctor to find out the reason. On the other hand, if you choose not to use condoms and don't want to get pregnant, discuss other methods of birth control with your doctor to avoid an unplanned pregnancy.
Was this page useful?